It's so easy to deal with rainy season related illnesses (cough, cold, fever, asthma) if we know safe, natural and equally effective ways to cure it.
- Get plenty of rest. When you’re feeling sick, don’t ignore it. Slow down and rest so it won’t get worse. You don't have to miss school or work at least try to go to bed earlier than usual.
- Stay hydrated. Cough and colds bring dehydration, so drinking water is important to keep fluids, flush toxins from the body and maintain the body’s electrolyte balance. Chicken soup, which gives electrolytes, is good for re-hydration. Also, avoid caffeine, salty, spicy food and refined sugars as these dehydrate the body.
- Take hot showers. Taking hot showers does not only hydrate, but inhaling its steam also works like a natural decongestant, relieving cold symptoms. It lessens sinus pressure, moisturizes nasal passages and soothes itchy throat. It even makes the body feel relaxed.
- Eat carbohydrates. Healthy carbohydrates like natural grains, whole wheat bread and pasta provide the body with fuel, boosting the immune system. Also, carbohydrates keep the body warm and prevent it from becoming chilled.
- For cough and colds, give your kids and family only doctor prescribed medicine. Personally, one of the cough remedies I've been using over the years is the Lagundi leaf (Vitex negundo L.) cough syrup. Combat cough and colds with Lagundi leaf (Vitex negundo L.), a herbal product extensively studied and trusted by the Department of Health. Developed by a group of Filipino scientists, it only uses indigenous lagundi plants, making it truly and proudly a Filipino product.