In celebration of International Day for Biological Diversity (IDB) happening on May 22, the Biodiversity Management Bureau of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR-BMB), together with the Deutsche Gesellschaftfür Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH invites photography enthusiasts to join the “Selfie for Biodiversity and Sustainable Tourism 2017”, a photo competition running from May 3 to May 15.
IDBD is an international event mandated by the United Nations as part of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) of 1993, to create global awareness on biodiversity, its impact on the ecosystem, and why everyone should be involved in its protection.
With theme “Biodiversity and Sustainable Tourism”, the photo contest will revolve around scenes showing efforts to sustain biodiversity and its connection to sustainable tourism. Photos may highlight efforts in protecting biodiversity, action shots that showcase commitment by tourism groups to protect biodiversity, eco-tours, forest, water and wildlife protection and other topics related to the theme. Subjects must be on Philippine biodiversity and include unique plants and/or animals, whether on land, in fresh water, in the ocean, or special places (wildlife habitats, protected areas, caves, lakes, or rivers).
The contest is open to all photography lovers living in the Philippines, from 13 years old and above. Participants may enter through either Facebook or Instagram and must like the Biodiversity Challenge Facebook page and Instagram account to join the contest.
Requirements for th Selfie for Biodiversity and Sustainable Tourism Contest:
- Entries must include a short description with the subject of the photo (as a title);
- participants’ name, age and the hashtag #selfieforbiodiversity2017; and short narrative (about 100 words) on what biodiversity means to the person, how Filipinos can help conserve the Philippines' rich biodiversity, how the action can inspire others, and a behind-the-scenes story on how the photo was taken.
- Photos must be taken over the past year, or from the close of the Selfie for Biodiversity contest event in May 2016.
- Previous entries are disqualified.
- Submission of entries is from May 3, 2017 to noon of May 15, 2017 only.
For a complete set of contest mechanics and other details about the contest, please visit the Selfie for Biodiversity’s official Facebook or Instagram page or contact 02-426 0239, 02-441 8440. You may also send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The winner wins a round trip airfare and accommodation for two to any of the protected area or biodiversity area under the jurisdiction of the DENR-BMB or a project site of GIZ PAME Project, except the Islands of Batanes (For a complete list of protected areas and key biodiversity areas, click here. The winner who will be notified via direct message.